Translate

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE

Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe



The current trend in cooking seems to be finding new and exciting recipes that are healthier but still delicious.  Growing up in North Carolina, I learned to cook what most folks call country food.  These foods tend to not be the healthiest of choices and as an adult I have tried to be a little more creative.  It is difficult for me at times because I have a hard time trying new things but as I get older it seems to get easier.  

This week I decided I wanted to make a Chicken Tortilla Soup.  Everyone seems to be making this specialty soup and so I thought why not me.  As usual I looked around at all sorts of recipes and I even found that you can buy chicken broth that is seasoned for this soup.  I however opted for my own creation including fresh items to use as seasonings.  

I am extremely happy to report that my soup turned out fabulous, so I knew I had to share it with my friends in Blogland.  My recipe makes a very large pot for about 8 people but you reduce the amount of chicken, beans and broth to make it for less people. 



Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients


6 Boneless Chicken Breast
1 Large Onion
2 Large Jalapenos
1 Cup Carrots
1 (14.5 oz) Can Diced Tomatoes
1 (32 oz) Large Chicken Broth
1 (15 oz) Can of Corn 
1 Can Green Chili (10 oz)  (Usually used for chicken enchiladas)
3 Cans of Beans (15 oz)  (I used Ranch Style Pintos but you can use Black Beans or whatever you like)
1 Lime
Salt and Pepper to taste

Tortilla Chips
Shredded Cheese

Cook your chicken until it can be easily shredded or cut into tender chunks. You can boil it in water or grill it if you prefer. 

Cut the chicken up and place in a large pot on stove. 
Add Chicken Broth
Dice the Onion, Jalapenos and Carrots and place them in the pot
Add The other ingredients: Canned Tomatoes, Corn, Green Chili and Beans with their juices
Squeeze the juice of one whole Lime into the pot 
Salt and Pepper
(If you prefer you can also add Cilantro at this point.  I personally do not have a taste for cilantro so I left it out) 

Bring to a Boil and then reduce heat. 
Cook for 45 minutes on Medium.  

Place some in a bowl and cover top with Shredded Cheese 
Crumble Chips over Cheese
I put a spoon full of Salsa on the Chips

Then serve it up and listen to your dinner quest sing your praises.  Really, it is that good!!!!


Enjoy,

Beverly

Tea Cottage Pretties

A special thank you to my new followers.
I am tickled to have you along...


2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I have made a similar soup, but I like the addition of the jalapenos. Pinning and will try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jann. Did you post your soup? I would love to see your recipe. Hugs, Beverly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ever so kindly for visiting Tea Cottage Pretties.
We hope that you enjoyed your visit and come back soon.
Have a beautiful day

LinkWithin

You might also like: