Translate

Sunday, December 15, 2013

ANGEL WINGS AND BRITISH THINGS

Angel Wings 

And

British Things



I had been thinking about the beautiful wings I had been seeing on Pinterest.  I have seen quite a few on dress forms and I decided to make a small set to try my hand at making them.  

First I cut some muslin fabric into stripes.  


Then I boiled some tea bags and tea stained the strips.  Once stained I washed them and dried them and then of course I ironed them. 


Then I drew half of a wing on paper and folded the paper in half and cut them out.  This way both sides would be identical. 


I ran each strip of fabric through the sewing machine and hand ruffled the strips.  I then started sewing them on in rows.  Once I had almost completely covered the wings, I made a center piece to sew on.  This piece was half the length of the other pieces and I stitched it down the center so that both sides would be equal.  Then I stitched the bottom end of the strips together just to make them look neater.  I then added this piece to both sides of the wings.  Then I selected some lace (a vintage piece a friend had given to me) and I added some small strips of fabric and tied a bow and hanger to the wings (see last photo below). 


When I finished I added a rhinestone crown button to the center of the bow and this is how it turned out. 













Next time I think I will try making one out of lace. 

And

British Things...

I was delightfully excited when I recently received a brooch I won on eBay for $3.00.  It was a  Crown and wreath brooch from Buckingham Palace.  I was tickled to have won the auction for only $3.00 and I was excited about receiving it.   It arrived and I opened it to find my new lovely brooch complete with original box and paperwork. 




Inside the box I found not only the brooch but a coin pendant that the seller had graciously enclosed with the brooch.  When I wrote to thank her for the gift she simply said "Glad you like it" and "Merry Christmas".   I am delighted with both of my precious treasures but even more touched that someone did something so nice just for the sake of being nice. 

Front 



Back


So I took the coin and made a bow pin out of it.  



Now I can wear it. 

The only problem now is do I wear the Crown and Wreath Brooch or the Coin Brooch first???

I love these kind of problems....


Off to make something else..

See you when I crawl out from under my sewing machine, 

Beverly 

Tea Cottage Pretties

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Staining them was the fun part. Hugs, Beverly

      Delete
  2. I love your ruffled wings Beverly! The added bling is the icing on the cake. Congrats on the win! The lady was as sweet as she was generous!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jann, thank you very much for stopping by and for the nice comment. I am loving my new little treasures and the gift was just the nicest thing. Hugs, Beverly

      Delete
  3. These are so pretty!!

    Love them!

    Thanks so much for your recent visit!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling wings! I am a collector of angels at Christmas...may have to make one of these :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cindy and thank you so very much for visiting me here at Tea Cottage Pretties. If you happen to make some wings I would LOVE to see them. Hugs, Beverly

      Delete
  5. I'd veer towards the coin brooch for the holiday season, as bows do go so exquisitely well with this time of the year. Either is marvelous of course though - much like the awesome angel wings that you made. Those are take-your-breath away lovely!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your splendidly nice comment on my post about modeling some of Anja's jewelry. She very kindly paid me for my time with the gift of some of her pieces, including the fabulous carved green Bakelite bangle and red 1950s crystal earrings that I wore in those photos (plus a few other equally awesome pieces, all of which will appear in outfit posts on my blog, I'm sure), so I didn't actually purchase anything because of her thoughtful generosity and desire to compensate me (technically us, as Tony took all the photos) with vintage jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jessica, you are such a wonderful champion for all of us that live with chronic pain and blog. Your article hit home for me on so many levels. We do have to stay home a lot and I know that my social life suffers so much but thanks to our blogland, we can connect, celebrate and champion each other. Thank you for being a wonderful inspiration and a beautiful soul. gentle hugs, Beverly

      PS I am so glad you got yourself some awesome vintage pieces. I need to make you a sign - "Will Work For Vintage"..... :)

      Delete
  6. So, so lovely and what I would expect from you, Beverly. Have a lovely Christmas. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so very much Linda. I am tickled with them for sure. All that ruffling though... wore me out. :) I think I might use pre-ruffled lace for my next one. Hugs, Beverly

      Delete
  7. Oh so pleased to discover your blog thanks to you (I'm of course a new follower) Thank you so much for the DIY. I love it so much like this with pink ruffles....
    xoxo from PARIS
    ………….. ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
    ………….. ⋯ ✰ ⋯
    ………….. ⋰ ⋮ ⋱
    ……… …….*•♥•*
    …… ……. *♥♫♫♥*’.
    … …….. *♥•♦♫••♥*
    ……… *♥☺♥☺♥☺♥*
    ………*♥•♥#♠*♥#♥•♥* ‘
    ……..*♥♫♥♥♫♥♥♫♥♫* ‘
    …….*♥♥☺♥♫♥♫♥☺♥♥*’
    ……*♥♥♣♫♥♣♥♥♣♥♫ ♣♥♥*’
    ….’*♥♥♣♥♫♥♥♫♥♥♫ ♥♣♥♥*’
    ….*~~**~~**~***~~**~~*
    ….(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
    _____███████████
    ♥:♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥: ♥:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so kindly. So glad to have you along. Your blog is so beautiful. I am glad I found you as well. Hugs, Beverly

      Delete
  8. Those wings are so lovely! I adore all of the ruffles! Merry Christmas!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. I had fun making them. I think my next project will be a set of wings for my dress form. I am working on it in my head. Once I figure out how I want to proceed I will crafting again. Hugs, Beverly

      PS Your art and you vintage goodies are so beautiful.

      Delete
  9. These are just so pretty! I love the bow and touch of bling.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Patti, hope you are having a beautiful Holiday Season and Merry Christmas. Thank you for stopping by and for the really nice comments. Hugs, Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  11. The angel wings are a beautiful, soft touch. What a sweet thing to have nearby as a reminder. Your ebay find was doubly lucky, very pretty and nice of her to include the coin. Wear them both in the new year with all good wishes and Merry Christmas! I'm visiting from Linda's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ever so kindly for visiting Tea Cottage Pretties.
We hope that you enjoyed your visit and come back soon.
Have a beautiful day

LinkWithin

You might also like: